T: (703) 749-1000
Keith Phillips's practice focuses on the representation of sureties and construction and government contractors. His experience includes the preparation, review and negotiation of contract documents, the provision of advice concerning contract administration and compliance with appropriate acquisition regulations, and the preparation, evaluation, negotiation and litigation of claims. He represents owners, contractors, sureties, architects, engineers and subcontractors on a wide variety of construction and commercial projects throughout the United States and internationally, including nuclear, conventional co-generation, alternative fuel and hydroelectric power plants, oil refineries, industrial plants, water and wastewater treatment facilities, laboratories, prisons, and office buildings. Keith has represented clients in a number of state and federal courts, before boards of contract appeals and other administrative boards and in arbitrations and mediations, domestically and internationally.
Prior to joining Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald in 1993, he served as a commissioned officer in the United States Navy. He completed Navy nuclear power school and submarine training before serving onboard nuclear submarines. His duties included supervising the operation and maintenance of the ship's nuclear power plant and related power generation and propulsion equipment. He also served as an acquisition engineer, responsible for research and development projects, procurement and life-cycle support for Navy communications equipment.
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- American Bar Association
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- Public Contract Law Section
- Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- International Bar Association
- International Construction Projects Committee
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Incoming Vice Chair, International Construction Projects Committee
- Florida State Bar
- Virginia Bar Association
- Construction and Public Contracts Law Section
Publications and Presentations
- Speaker: "
Nuclear Power Projects," International Bar Association Convention, Madrid, Spain, October 2009
- Speaker: "The Demand for Oil: Impacts and Challenges for the Construction Industry," Inter-Pacific Bar Association Annual Convention, Manila, The Philippines, May 2009.
- Panelist/Speaker: "Limitation of Liability Clauses in Construction Contracts, a United States Prospective," International Bar Association Convention, Singapore, October 2007.
- Panelist: "How the EPC Contractor Can Lower Its Risk and Increase Its Reward on Power Plant Projects," Forbes Global Energy Conference, London, England, November 2002.
- Panelist: "Duties of Geotechnical Engineer to the Construction Owner and Contractor Under Common Law, XVth International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey, August 2001.
- Author: "Arbitration or Litigation," From the Ground Up, Spring 1999.